Today Mr. Will wasn't as excited to go to the gym. Tiffany said this is the typical reaction that she normally sees on Wednesday of the first week. I get it though. He has been working so hard on things that we just take for granted, which is a normal day in the life of Will, only here (at Miss Tiffany's gym) he works extra hard for an extended amount of time. I think I said this last time we were here...typical adults don't spend 3 hours a day 5 days a week at the gym unless they are training for a major challenge. I'm not sure what they would even train that hard for. Will is working on several new things this time. He made such great progress in May that now Tiffany can get to other "layers" of skills that Will needs to work on. Take Alfie for instance, when we came in May my concern was controlling Alfie at all! Poor Will just would look over to the right...boom, he was turned to the right! There was no way he could walk in a straight line, or just from point A to B no matter what! Fast forward 3 weeks later and he was doing a great job of kicking over bowling pins without letting Alfie touch them first. This was a HUGE improvement. So now Tiffany can look at the next step to eventually getting Will walking independently. Yesterday she determined that he was pushing back against the upper support on Alfie to help him move forward. So...she took that piece off. You can see what happened in this short video...
It will be interesting to see over the next 2 1/2 weeks how much progress he makes toward the right way to walk. Stay tuned!
Another challenge for Will is walking up stairs. At home Will crawls up the stairs, if that. Usually I will admit Phil or I carry him, it's just easier and safer. Well, we'll see about that! If you remember last May he worked very hard on cruising the wall. He does not like these sidestep challenges. His hip joint is very weak so stepping to the side is hard for him. Now take that difficult movement and add dimension! As you can imagine...Mr. Will is not happy about this! I couldn't post the video from yesterday, it was just too hard to watch. Poor Will is having all sorts of feelings about this. It's hard work, plus he does not like the unstable feeling of stepping up and down while stepping to the side! He doesn't feel control of his body and that would be a scary place to be. So, this too will be one to watch over the next couple of weeks. The video I chose is when he's coming down the stairs. Going up is still the scariest part for him and I just couldn't bring myself to share it with you. We'll see how he does tomorrow, then maybe I can show before and after. We'll see! Until then...
Another challenge for Will is walking up stairs. At home Will crawls up the stairs, if that. Usually I will admit Phil or I carry him, it's just easier and safer. Well, we'll see about that! If you remember last May he worked very hard on cruising the wall. He does not like these sidestep challenges. His hip joint is very weak so stepping to the side is hard for him. Now take that difficult movement and add dimension! As you can imagine...Mr. Will is not happy about this! I couldn't post the video from yesterday, it was just too hard to watch. Poor Will is having all sorts of feelings about this. It's hard work, plus he does not like the unstable feeling of stepping up and down while stepping to the side! He doesn't feel control of his body and that would be a scary place to be. So, this too will be one to watch over the next couple of weeks. The video I chose is when he's coming down the stairs. Going up is still the scariest part for him and I just couldn't bring myself to share it with you. We'll see how he does tomorrow, then maybe I can show before and after. We'll see! Until then...
Comments
Post a Comment