It's week three. Our last week here in Kansas City. A place I really have started to accept as our second home. I really do like it here...but I think Will and I are both ready to get back home!
A lot of focus on walking today, which was good. I would love to see Will ditch Alfie one day and take off on his own. I believe he will. As I was watching him today and listening to Tiffany talk to him I realized something. There are so many movements that I just take for granted. Especially walking. Think about it. If you're sitting on the couch reading a book (yeah right!) and the room starts to get dark, what do you do...get up and turn on a light. You don't have to tell your body how to accomplish that task. You just get up and do it! You want a drink or a snack...get up and get one. Easy right, simple.
A lot of focus on walking today, which was good. I would love to see Will ditch Alfie one day and take off on his own. I believe he will. As I was watching him today and listening to Tiffany talk to him I realized something. There are so many movements that I just take for granted. Especially walking. Think about it. If you're sitting on the couch reading a book (yeah right!) and the room starts to get dark, what do you do...get up and turn on a light. You don't have to tell your body how to accomplish that task. You just get up and do it! You want a drink or a snack...get up and get one. Easy right, simple.
Like she said, Will has to think about what he's doing. He also needs to get lots of practice in. So that's the hard part. Up until now, we still carry Will quite a bit. Let's face it...it's just easier. He's little in size so it's easy to pick him up and go. Well, we have to stop that. He needs to walk, just like any other 5 year old would. There are some instances when walking is not ideal, yesterday's Renaissance Festival for example. Right now we still have a stroller that works for Mr. Will, so we can use that. Tomorrow we are meeting with a rep from United Seating who will help me choose a wheelchair. This is something I have avoided until now, but I know it's the right thing to do. Mr. Will doesn't want to be push around in a stroller, he's a big boy! The wheelchair will take awhile to get here. In the meantime we have to work on Will's walking so we can look at the wheelchair as what it is...a temporary assistive device.
Comments
Post a Comment