Well, Will survived our first FULL day! He started with an 8am dive, that went quite well. He and I have a routine now. When we "take-off" and our ears are popping I start to rub his ears and sing our songs. Sometimes it's normal vowel sounds other times we throw all kinds of words into the mix. It's fun for Will and beneficial too! This morning the in flight movie was Doc McStuffins. Will watched the movie the whole time.
When Captain David opened the chamber door guess who was waiting to say hi...Miss Tiffany! I think Will was caught off guard. He has been talking about Tiffany since we got here, but there she was and he couldn't say anything!
I brought Will out of the chamber and introduced Miss Tiffany to Zipper, Will's new wheels. Will showed Miss Tiffany how he could get around and rolled himself right into the gym.
I think Will was ready to get to the gym! He and Tiffany got right to it. I stepped out of the room for a few minutes to talk to Miss Sheryl, a nurse who works with the HBOT side. She took some information from me about Will and told me she would be checking in with me on Mondays and Fridays to see what I have noticed (any good or bad) about Will. She then puts a report together to e-mail to his pediatrician and neurologist. I am very excited about that! Both of these doctors have been very supportive. Will Pediatrician wrote the prescription for the oxygen, but told us that she really didn't know how it would help. She wasn't being negative, just uneducated. I am hopeful that Will makes good progress and then his doctors will learn something new too, that they can pass on to other patients! When I told Sheryl the name of Will's neurologist she paused for a minute. Then told me that there was another little girl, a baby girl, who would be diving with Will today who also sees the same neurologist! How crazy is that!
Anyway, as I'm talking to Sheryl, Tiffany came out to get me to show me what Will was doing. When I went back into the gym I saw a confident little boy making big strides in his wheelchair. He was making pushing noises and the whole bit! Having just gotten Zipper on Friday, we haven't had much time to practice in it. Plus, I don't know who to tell him how to use a wheelchair. Tiffany adjusted his seatbelt so he could focus more on his arms and core muscles to make bigger movements therefore rolling farther.
After that she did some of the old standards. Pulling up to the table to play with the animal toy, scooting on the scooter board and those dreaded stairs! But before all that he had to warm up those abs! This is how is did that...having fun the whole time!
When Captain David opened the chamber door guess who was waiting to say hi...Miss Tiffany! I think Will was caught off guard. He has been talking about Tiffany since we got here, but there she was and he couldn't say anything!
I brought Will out of the chamber and introduced Miss Tiffany to Zipper, Will's new wheels. Will showed Miss Tiffany how he could get around and rolled himself right into the gym.
I think Will was ready to get to the gym! He and Tiffany got right to it. I stepped out of the room for a few minutes to talk to Miss Sheryl, a nurse who works with the HBOT side. She took some information from me about Will and told me she would be checking in with me on Mondays and Fridays to see what I have noticed (any good or bad) about Will. She then puts a report together to e-mail to his pediatrician and neurologist. I am very excited about that! Both of these doctors have been very supportive. Will Pediatrician wrote the prescription for the oxygen, but told us that she really didn't know how it would help. She wasn't being negative, just uneducated. I am hopeful that Will makes good progress and then his doctors will learn something new too, that they can pass on to other patients! When I told Sheryl the name of Will's neurologist she paused for a minute. Then told me that there was another little girl, a baby girl, who would be diving with Will today who also sees the same neurologist! How crazy is that!
Anyway, as I'm talking to Sheryl, Tiffany came out to get me to show me what Will was doing. When I went back into the gym I saw a confident little boy making big strides in his wheelchair. He was making pushing noises and the whole bit! Having just gotten Zipper on Friday, we haven't had much time to practice in it. Plus, I don't know who to tell him how to use a wheelchair. Tiffany adjusted his seatbelt so he could focus more on his arms and core muscles to make bigger movements therefore rolling farther.
After that she did some of the old standards. Pulling up to the table to play with the animal toy, scooting on the scooter board and those dreaded stairs! But before all that he had to warm up those abs! This is how is did that...having fun the whole time!
After 3 hours of work, it was time to grab a very quick bite to eat and jump back in the spaceship! Will did ok on this "flight" but he was a tired boy for sure. He wanted to sit on my lap so that's what we did. I tried to get him to lay back and rest,but remember he has a giant bubble on his head. Laying back and relaxing will take some practice! The flight this afternoon was the fullest yet. There were 4 receiving oxygen and then 2 Mommies. I didn't feel claustrophobic at all though, which is something I really worried about going in.
Comments
Post a Comment